Our children deserve the best education this country has to offer.
- Two new schools for Maidstone
- A good school place for every child
New schools for Maidstone
We desperately need more school places in and around Maidstone. Some primary school children are already having to travel miles, and the situation is only going to get worse in the next few years.
I campaigned hard for more primary school places, and was very pleased when the Department for Education announced plans to open the Maidstone Primary School and Bearsted Academy on the Kent Medical Campus. The plans for these much needed schools were welcomed by the local community, in an area facing a serious shortfall in primary school places.
My mission now is to get through the planning wrangles and get these schools open as soon as possible.
How is the Government supporting schools?
In parallel to the work on the funding formula, the Government has committed to the following:
- School funding will rise to £43.5 billion in 2019-20
- By 2019/20 every secondary school pupil will receive at least £4,800 and every secondary school will receive £3.500. Schools in Faversham and Mid Kent are getting a £6.4% increase in funding – that’s £2.7 million more.
- Standards are rising, with nearly 10,000 more children now in good or outstanding schools
|Letter to the Prime Minister||230.17 KB|
|David Cameron School Funding Letter||481.16 KB|